Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Descriptives and Possessives, describing singular and plural nouns


Buug    A book
Buug weyn   A large book

Kani waa buug weyn     This is a large book
Kani waa buug aad u weyn    This is a very large book

Buuggani wuu (waa) weyn yahay  This book is large
Buuggani wuu (waa) aad u weyn yahay
Buuggani aad wuu/buu (waa) u weyn yahay    [only use "BAA Form" if combined with "aad....u"]

Gurigayga weyn  My big house
Kani waa gurigayga weyn   This is my big house

Gurigayayga wuu weyn yahay  My house is big
Gurigayga  aad wuu u weyn yahay   My house is very big

Gurigayga wuu cad yahay    My house is white

Guri weyn waan leeyahay  I have a big house.
Guri weyn cad waan leeyahay   I have a big white house

Indo yaryar baad leedahay                     You have small eyes
Indahagu wey yaryar yihiin                     Your eyes are small

Tinteyda wey (waa) dheer tahay              My hair (singular) is long
Timahayga wey (waa) dhaadheer yihiin    My hair is long [lit: my hairs are long]  (Since we are referring to my entire of head of hair, it is plural, not just 1 hair on my head)

Timahayga wey dheer yihiin   My hair is long [lit: my hairs are long]  This one is tricky, it's not "incorrect" but the above 2 are "more correct"

***BUT you can also use the singular form when referring to your entire head of hair.....so remember that some nouns in English are the same for singular and plural (mass or collective nouns)

No comments:

Post a Comment